Thursday, April 14, 2011

Flanders Scientific (FSI)


I visited FSI specifically as a favor to a friend, hearing that their monitors have been designed by someone who basically said "screw it I'll build it myself."  Speaking with their engineer and looking at the panels, that's exactly what I saw: field and suite monitors that made complete sense.  There's only three panels in their lineup: the flagship 17" in either fluorescent or LED backlighting, and a 7" onboard monitor.  Their 17" monitors have been factory-calibrated to have the most true color reproduction from any signal; and by any, I mean composite, component, SD/HD-SDI, and DVI with support for HDMI.  Hey Panasonic, let's see your 1700 do that.


The menu system is just as impressive as the rest of the monitor.  There are TONS of software scopes on this; somewhere over 12 individual scopes and meters that can be assigned to a large set of shortcut buttons to be quickly toggled on and off.  Up to five color profiles can be saved in the monitor, with a permanent default setting with the factory calibration.  The 7" has all the same features, though they say the 7" won't be as color accurate as the 17".


All of my photos are an example of the 17" mounted on a branded VF Gadgets mount and housed in a Petrol screen bag, doubling as a weather cover and screen shade.  It's far simpler and more versatile than current setups with a separate screen shade that has to be done and undone on every location move.  It all just makes sense.

EDIT: I forgot to mention their 24" monitor.  I hadn't had time to look specifically into it, though from a quick glance all the scopes are there and I doubt any functionality has been reduced.

No comments:

Post a Comment