Tuesday, April 12, 2011

K-Tek Norbert initial impression


The greatest use of my 7D isn't actually production, its weddings.  Being as lightweight and small is highly advantageous, so as much as I look for production-based DSLR accessories, I don't own much of it.  I have been searching for a specific type of bracket, however.  The bracket must be rigid, quick and easy to use, hold all my accessories (Zoom, two wireless receivers, a shotgun mic, and monitor in the worst-case scenario).  And the biggest problem is it must be compatible with my quick-release system so I can ditch the cage in an instant.

I saw the Norbert online months ago and loved the design, but appalled by the price tag.  But it's things like this that make a trade show invaluable.  The Norbert can be sold as a bracket only for significantly less, without their quick-release plate built-in.  It can be retrofitted for my 357 QR plate system, both inside the bracket to fit the camera, and below to lock it to a tripod.  With matching plates on both sides, the bracket itself can be instantly removed, along with all the accessories.  It doesn't feel as tall as most photos (including mine) make it look, and adding a QR system and battery grip on the camera will close up the gap.  Looks like Norbert might have been the right accessory all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment